ThirdAveView has recently been updated to support iOS 5 and the iPad. Stability and speed have also been
improved. A new version will be uploaded to the App Store when I make fixes to ThirdAveSuite and ThirdAveWind
made necessary by NOAA's change in tide predication data access. As soon as possible.
ThirdAveView, Current release is 2.3
Webcam Off Line
The webcam was taken off line on Thursday, October 17, 2013, until further notice, as our host, EFI, has
relinquished control of 303 Velocity Way to its new owner, Gilead Sciences. We are hoping that Gilead
will take over hosting of the camera but are awaiting a decision from them on this matter.
ThirdAveView is an iPhone application that is dedicated to monitoring the Third Avenue kiteboarding and
sailboarding webcam mounted inside of the Electronics for Imaging building in Foster City, CA.
The webcam is actually a Sony SNC RZ30 pan/tilt/zoom camera, and the image information is served using a
weather server. The data is collected every 240 seconds and posted in JPEG format to the Arbor-Studios
website. The data is acquired on the same schedule by the iPhone application.
ThirdAveView displays the following images from the site: Parking Lot view, Carpeted Area/Flag view, Jumping
Area view, Beach View, and Panoramic View. These images are available as tabs at the bottom of the screen.
A background audio is available on demand as an icon on the screen.
The different images can be panned and zoomed as normal on the iPhone. Zoom factor is limited to 3 at present
due to the quality of the images.
The default setting for audio is OFF as a consideration to those who might be checking conditions at 3rd during
- Cleaned up to work with iPhone OS4.
- Fixed image loading thread and removed memory leaks.
- Stability enhancements to image acquisition threads.
- Changed text on splash page when I realized that it had gotten mangled.
- Changed locations of sound and information buttons.
- Added a custom URL scheme so that TAV can be launched from ThirdAveWind.
- Added wind and tide buttons onto each screen that, when TAV is launched from
ThirdAveWind, show wind direction and speed, tide type and current value. When
selected as buttons ThirdAveWind is launched.
- First official version (i.e., first version on the App Store). Shows version as 1.02 but is 1.03.
- Changed the splash page image to use a photograph taken by Scott Ellington, a frequent visitor to Third Ave.
We would like to thank Scott Ellington for letting us use his photograph on our splash screen.
A ThirdAveView tutorial has been written to introduce the user to the features of this application and its use. Please select
the following link to view it: Tutorial.
Sample Images of Application
- Improve download performance.
- If possible/reasonable, look into animation of image histories.
Space Provided By Hurricane Electric